Monday, 16 June 2014

Chambray Hawthorn!

I finished my Chambray Hawthorn dress. Yay!  This dress pattern is Colette 1026 Hawthorn.  I used Robert Kaufmann herringbone chambray fabric that is 100% cotton yarn dyed.  I also used some floral Liberty of London cotton lawn for the facings.  This fabric makes this dress so comfy, light and airy but also has a lovely drape.  I didn't change the pattern too much. I made a size 8 and moved the bodice darts laterally by about 1cm that made a tremendous improvement in the fit.  I also made a 3/4" forward shoulder adjustment which got rid of some wrinkling between shoulder and bust.

Here's a pop of Liberty floral!

Initially, I was thinking of making the version with 3/4 length sleeves.  I cut out all the pieces but then I changed my mind and made it sleeveless.  I saved the pieces in case I ever decide to add the sleeves.

Here it is with a belt.

I decided to slipstitch the hem by hand because I love hand stitching.  It only took me part of a leisurely afternoon sitting in the bay window while listening to some classical music on CBC radio.   This fabric is awesome to slipstitch by hand because the stitches disappear into it, and it is entirely invisible from the front.

So in conclusion, I'm pretty happy with this dress.  It fits fairly well, but it could be taken in at the waist just a tiny bit.  That may make the excess fabric hanging in my low back curve sit nicer.  Photos of me wearing it are coming soon!  I may make the 3/4 length sleeve version in the future.  Maybe for fall....

Happy Sewing!


  1. Beautiful dress! I bought some similar chambray recently and was trying to decide how it would look as a dress. This has definitely helped!

  2. Thank you! I'd love to see your chambray dress when you sew it!