Monday, 27 May 2013

Butterfly Quilt

Now that the snow is melted and my laundry line is back up,  I can photograph my most recent "Butterfly Quilt" outdoors in much better lighting.  This quilt is the largest quilt I've made.  It fits a queen size bed with a very generous length to allow for a pillow tuck.  The amount draping over the side is perfect.
 This design is very simple.  They are 12" blocks; half of which are hourglass and half are four-square blocks.  Alternate them and arrange them with lighter colours together and darker colours together.  Then you've got this altered squares design which creates an illusion of larger diamonds.  I added a border, and voilĂ !  The fabric is from a line called Papillon designed by 3 Sisters

Here's a little closer detail of the fabric.  It's so beautiful with muted pastels and detailed butterfly sketches.   The quilting was not done by me.  This was the first time I sent a quilt to get quilted by a long arm quilter.  I sent it to Missouri Star Quilt Company.  I usually like to do everything myself but this huge quilt was going to be very difficult to quilt on my little home sewing machine.  Although it's more expensive than doing it myself, it was definitely worth it.  They really did a fabulous job and it was so quick!

The binding is completely slipstitched by hand.  This is one part of the quilt making process that I really learned to love.  It's time consuming but looks so much nicer.  I've learned to relax into it and enjoy each stitch rather than focus on just getting it done.  It took me maybe 3 or 4 days to complete the binding.
There we go!  Now Butterfly Quilt is going to the washing machine for it's annual wash!
Happy Sewing!

Wednesday, 22 May 2013

Red Polka Dot Dress

I have a long list of things I want to sew but this Red Lonsdale dress is next in line.  I have lots of this polka dot fabric which is 100% cotton.  I made a muslin in size 6 and determined I need to make a full bust adjustment of 1.25 inches.  The waist fits perfect but there was a lot of gaping in the upper bust and tight across the middle bust.
 Here's a picture of my corrected bodice piece.  I kept the waist at size 6 and tapered to size 4 at the top of the side seam.  I also continued the size 4 with the ties.  I may also grade from a size 6 in the waist to a size 4 in the hip and the rest of the skirt down.
I like a longer skirt but not quite a maxi dress length; more of a tea length dress so I'm going to lengthen view A to about mid calf.   I'm hoping to finish this dress well before my birthday.  I can be a slow sewist so its good to have a date to work towards.  It's so rewarding to end up with a beautiful garment to wear.
Happy Sewing!

Thursday, 16 May 2013

More Photos!

McCalls 6503 pattern:

 This is actually the first version I made.  It is view A.  It has a ruffled collar edge.  I underlined the bodice and lined the skirt with batiste.  I did not lengthen the bodice in this version so although the fit is pretty good.  I can feel that the waist sits a bit too high.  I don't know, maybe that's the style, but I decided to change it with the second version.

So both dresses have their pros and cons.  The shorter one feels more casual and cute but the longer one fits better on my waist and feels more flowy.  I guess it just depends on my mood.  Well I guess I can now put this pattern away.  I'm pretty happy with my 2 new dresses!

Happy Sewing!

Wednesday, 15 May 2013

Tea Garden dress

I've just completed my "Tea Garden" dress.  Also known as McCalls 6503.  This is an unlined dress pattern.  I added a skirt lining and a bodice underlining in a white cotton batiste.
The fabric is a floral print cotton lawn fabric.  I hemmed the skirt using "hug-snug" tape and used my expensive french cotton lace from my heirloom sewing stash on the hem of the skirt lining.  I'll post some more pics of myself actually wearing the dress.
I made a few other modifications.  I lengthened the bodice by 1" for a better fit.  I also lengthened the skirt significantly (about 6 inches) just because I wanted a more flowy dress rather than a baby doll look.

back view

Pearly buttons.  I may change these to fabric covered buttons in the future.  I just have to save the fabric scraps

Underlined bodice, self lined midriff, gathered skirt lining

Lace edging on the facing

french cotton lace on the skirt lining

Hand-basted cotton batiste underlining for the bodice pieces

hemming the lining with lace

Hemming the skirt with "hug snug"

Thursday, 2 May 2013

Welcome to My Sewing Room

Welcome to my sewing room!

 A few months ago I completed my sewing/craft room.  So we can actually use the dining room for DINING.   I don't have to worry about cleaning up my project when it came time for dinner  and I could continue on where I left off and things are just so much more efficient.   I wanted an L-shaped workspace which is helpful when quilting a bed quilt.

So now that I have this beautiful workspace.  I have been sewing a lot more.  My goal is to create a unique handmade wardrobe.  With every project I learn something new.  That's the beauty about sewing;  theres always more to learn.  And the more you learn the more enjoyable it becomes and the more you learn.  It's a vicious cycle really.
I will be sharing some of my projects very soon!
Happy Sewing