Tea Garden dress

I've just completed my "Tea Garden" dress.  Also known as McCalls 6503.  This is an unlined dress pattern.  I added a skirt lining and a bodice underlining in a white cotton batiste.
The fabric is a floral print cotton lawn fabric.  I hemmed the skirt using "hug-snug" tape and used my expensive french cotton lace from my heirloom sewing stash on the hem of the skirt lining.  I'll post some more pics of myself actually wearing the dress.
I made a few other modifications.  I lengthened the bodice by 1" for a better fit.  I also lengthened the skirt significantly (about 6 inches) just because I wanted a more flowy dress rather than a baby doll look.



back view

Pearly buttons.  I may change these to fabric covered buttons in the future.  I just have to save the fabric scraps

Underlined bodice, self lined midriff, gathered skirt lining

Lace edging on the facing

french cotton lace on the skirt lining

Hand-basted cotton batiste underlining for the bodice pieces

hemming the lining with lace

Hemming the skirt with "hug snug"


Comments

  1. This is beautiful! I love all the lace details. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this dress is stunning! It looks beautiful both on the outside and inside. Very impressive! You will surely be "garden party ready" in this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Rikki! I will definitely have to plan a garden party this summer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts