Thursday, 15 May 2014

Gingham Cambie!

My Gingham Cambie dress is completed!  I used a navy blue and white cotton blend gingham.  It doesn't feel like 100% cotton. It's also fully lined in a soft cotton batiste.  I altered the bodice again to create a better fit, and I used the Hollyburn skirt pattern.  It's incredibly comfortable but next time I think I'll make it with a longer skirt.  This felt a bit too short for me.    I feel like either Alice in Wonderland or Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz!






I made some progress with my zipper skills.  This one is a bit more invisible, and the waistline matches up!  Next time though I'll be careful to do the neck edge a bit closer to the top of the zipper.  There is a teeny gap but not enough to warrant a hook and eye.  The bodice looks a bit too tight in this photo, but it doesn't feel too tight at all.



A much better fit in the bodice this time.  Yay!







I lowered the darts and took in the centre front neckline to reduce the neckline gaping.  It worked wonderfully.  There is absolutely no gaping.  The fabric lies perfectly in place.


Here is my cotton batiste for underlining.


Here is a photo of the front bodice piece with the cotton batiste underlining.  I hand basted it with silk thread.  I'm glad I did this extra step because I think it creates a bit of gentle structure where it's needed the most.

Well, I'm putting the Cambie Dress pattern away for now.  Thank you Sewaholic for a gorgeous dress pattern!  I'm sure I'll come back to it to make different variations.

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment