Sunday, 7 August 2016

Summer Shirt-dress Part 2: McCall's 6696 View A

My second go at this pattern, and I think it's my favourite version thus far!  I made view A which has the pleated skirt and sleeveless bodice.  After doing all the fitting work on the first version, view C,  this was a breeze.  I didn't need any fitting adjustments or alterations on the skirt pattern, and I've already done the fitting work for the bodice.

What I love about view A is the skirt which is much more comfortable and flowy.  Yeah, there's no use fighting it; I think I'm a flowy skirt person.  



I also really like the belt carriers.  I haven't worn it with a belt yet; I just like the detail.
I had to do a bit of fiddling to get the right tension on the belt carriers.  The reason had to do with the turn of cloth.  When you fold the waistband seam, the carriers are too tight.  So I folded the seam then adjusted the tension of each carrier before pinning it and basting it in place.  That way they'll lie flat once the seam is sewn.

I used a printed cotton chambray fabric that had a soft drape.  It's very comfortable to wear because it's not too stiff or wrinkly.  I really love the geometric print; it has a somewhat unique vintage look to it.  For some reason, I had to adjust the collar pieces again.  The collar stand and collar are a tiny bit smaller than my first version.  Maybe the neckline stretched out on the first version; I'm not sure.  I'm happy with the way the collar turned out, though.  It fits really nice.


 Of course, I'm still in love with the back bodice gathers!

 And unlike view C, it's so comfortable to sit in.  A perfect picnic dress!


I didn't take any construction details photos this time because I just whizzed through this one.  No underlining and a clean finish for the seam allowances.  This is my new favourite way to finish seam allowances for straight seams.  Just fold the seam allowance over once and stitch.

Well, that's it for my second summer shirt dress.  I'm pretty happy with it, and I just may sew another one some day.

Thanks for reading my blog and

Happy Sewing!


7 comments:

  1. Looks great! I have this pattern and it's fun to see your version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful dress and it looks great on you ! Did you really sew a size 16 ? because you look rather thin. I'm asking because I've ordered the pattern last week in the smaller sizes range (I'm a 38 in Europe = ± size 8 in the US)but I think it won't fit now that I look at the size and measurement :o(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ingrid. Thank you so much. I'm sure the smaller sewing pattern pack will fit you. I sewed a size 12 upper bodice graded to size 14 at the waist and a size 14 skirt. The smaller pattern ranges includes sizes 8-16. Have fun sewing!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for your quick reply !

      Delete
  3. Your dress really turned out great! It looks cool and comfy, and the fit is perfect!

    ReplyDelete