Friday, 22 January 2016

Vintage Apron À La Liberty of London!

This is an awesome apron!  I want to wear it out to the grocery store! I'm so glad I decided to use my Liberty of London fabric for this project.  It turned out to be a match made in heaven!  This print is called "Ricardo's Blooms".  A little too sweet and bright for everyday garments, but I've discovered that it's perfect for kitchen paraphernalia.  I already have a set of napkins planned with the leftover fabric.  Yes, they are cut out and waiting to be stitched.

 Anyways,  this is Vogue 8643 a vintage reprint from 1952.

I thought this would be a quick sewing project.  But I was wrong.  It turned out to be a lot more involved than I expected.  Part of that was my fault because I decided to underline every single piece, which I admit was totally worth the result.

 This midriff piece is tacked in place to the waistband so that it's scalloped lower edge floats over the gathers.  I love that effect, very well thought out, very couture.  Those old patterns were high quality.

The bib curves over the shoulders and around the neck, closing with a button.

So, here is the inside view.  I underlined every piece of fabric with cotton batiste.  I'm really glad I decided to do that because it added some body to the thin cotton lawn without being stiff like quilting cotton.  This also made the gathers extra lush and made the colour of the print brighter.  Overall, I believe the underlining elevated the quality and feel of this apron.  

 I did a clean finish on all the seam allowances.

Here is a close-up of one of the tacks under the midriff piece.

Construction Details!

There was a bit of hand stitching involved.

To keep the gathers fluffy I first hand basted the skirt to the waistband.  Then when machine stitching I used my left hand to maneuver the gathers, so they don't get too flattened in one direction.

Here's a close up of the scallops and trimming of the seam allowance.

I hand basted the eyelet ruffle before machine stitching.

I did something different than the pattern instructions when it came to attaching the bib to the midriff piece.  The diagram and instructions didn't make sense to me, so I just did my own thing.  I ended up doing a sort of sandwich technique.  It took me a while to align everything just right, and it worked.  I'm just not sure it's the best thing to do.  The lovely shape seems to disappear and flatten out.  If I make this again, I'll try something different to allow the shape of the midriff band to stand out.

Well, that's it for my Vintage Apron!  I'm going to enjoy wearing it around the house if not out at the grocery store. 

Happy Sewing!


  1. Your apron looks so soft and happy!

    1. Thanks Joanne! It's fun to wear. :)

  2. It's so pretty - no wonder it took a long time to make, it's really a little dress without the back.

    1. Thank you Sarah! :) Yeah, it's pretty much a dress!