I finished my winter wool dress. Yay! This is McCall's 7014 view A.
I finally got some photo's of myself wearing it so now you can tell what it looks like on a real person!
I made it in a stretch wool herringbone fabric and lined it with Bemberg Rayon. When I ordered the fabric, I was not aware that it was a stretch wool; otherwise, I wouldn't have bought it. But I decided to use it anyways and see how it goes.
Well, I think it turned out ok, but it was not my favourite fabric to work with. It was annoying and didn't hold a crease very well. It was thick and bulky too. By the end, I couldn't wait for it to be finished. The rayon lining was getting annoying too. I think next time I'd like to try lining with silk charmeuse
Anyways, Here's the full-length view. So, when I first prepared the fabric, I couldn't decide whether to use the darker side or, the lighter side, so I used both! This created a side panel look. Pretty cool hey?
Here's the zipper. I did a hand picked zipper, which I love because not only does it look good but I feel I have more control doing it by hand.
I also did some hand topstitching on the front and back princess seams.
So, I made two muslins before sewing this up. I ended up using a size 12 C bodice grading to size 14 at waist and hip. I did a 3/8" forward shoulder adjustment. I lengthened the bodice by 1" and I bowed in the darts for a better fit. I'll add some photos of me wearing it as soon as I get them.
I always love the part of attaching the lining!
Getting ready for fell-stitching. I know they always call it slip stitching in the instructions, but I think mine is more of a fell stitch.
This is where I get to sit down and relax with some hand sewing.
Well, that about wraps up my winter wool dress. I'm sure I'll have a chance to wear it this winter. It was fun, but I'm glad it's done because I can't wait to get my hands on this luscious Liberty of London cotton lawn just waiting to be made into a gorgeous '50s apron!
Until next time,
Happy Sewing and Merry Christmas!