Thursday, 28 May 2015

Cozy Wine Baggies for Wine Club!

My husband is a member of a wine club and last week was our turn to host the wine night.  The theme was blind tasting.  This was particularly fortuitous for me because I got to use my creativity to come up with a way to hide the wine bottles as they arrived.  Yay!


I was at the fabric store and found this novelty quilting cotton which I thought was totally à propos!  Pretty cool, eh?  At first I was thinking of making a cover that was more tailored.  A cylindrical rectangle and a circle for the bottom which would have to be hand sewn.  But as time went by, and I procrastinated and got busy with other things, I decided I don't want to be hand sewing these things at the last minute.


I decided to do a pillowcase style bag, so I made a prototype after measuring an empty wine bottle.  (Never thought I'd do a fitting on a wine bottle!).  I decided that it looked pretty good and went ahead with the rest of them.  I made 12 in total.  Once I figured out the ideal measurements, the sewing part went very quickly.  I finished the top quickly with pinking shears.  I found the best measurement for a standard wine bottle is 13" by 15".  Fold the fabric in half lengthwise and sew along the two sides using 1/4-inch seam allowance.  


I had some hemp twine in my ribbon drawer that I used as a tie at the neck.  Yes, this bottle is well dressed!  I also happened to have these cute little tags that I used to number the bottles.

The wine night was fun even though I'm not a wine connoisseur at all. I'm a total newbie, and I wasn't able to guess any of the wines.  Nevertheless,  I had fun.  I could see myself making these again, perhaps in a burlap fabric and a bright ribbon. 


Thanks for reading my blog!

Happy Sewing!



2 comments: